There has been a disturbance in the force, as screenwriters Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson have exited the Star Wars project that Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy remains slated to direct, Above the Line has exclusively learned.
Lindelof and Britt-Gibson turned in a draft of the script in mid-February and parted ways with the project just days later, according to sources. Lucasfilm already has a new writer on board, though ATL was unable to ascertain their identity. Production is slated to start in February 2024 ahead of the film’s planned release date on Dec. 19, 2025.
Plot details remain under wraps, but the top-secret project is going to be unveiled at Star Wars Celebration next month along with its title and a brief synopsis, though don’t expect any casting announcements just yet.
Lindelof recently cast doubt on his involvement in the Star Wars universe in a recent interview with SlashFilm at SXSW, where he said the following:
“I will just say, that for reasons that I can’t get into on this Sunday morning, on this day, the degree of difficulty is extremely, extremely, extremely high,” said Lindelof. “If it can’t be great, it shouldn’t exist. That’s all I’ll say, because I have the same association with it as you do, which is, it’s the first movie I saw sitting in my dad’s lap, four years old, May of ’77. I think it’s possible that sometimes when you hold something in such high reverence and esteem, you start to get in the kitchen and you just go, ‘Maybe I shouldn’t be cooking. Maybe I should just be eating.’ We’ll just leave it at that.”
Lindelof is the celebrated creator of the acclaimed HBO series Watchmen and The Leftovers who was at SXSW to promote his upcoming Peacock series Mrs. Davis. Britt-Gibson previously served as a writer and co-producer on the Starz series Counterpart.
A representative for Lucasfilm had no comment.